Wednesday 13 June 2012

KONY 2012


This is frankly an emergency broadcast which I feel cannot wait until Saturday because for every second we wait another invisible child is silenced.

I am of course talking about the horrific events caused by Joseph Kony - the leader of the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) which is, lets be blunt, a terrorist organisation. He is wanted by the International Criminal Court and yet most the world don't know who he is. It is my hope and my dream as well as being the dream of millions of people.

Why do we wish that? He needs to be famous to be stopped, but one person could never do that?

"Who are you to end a war, but today I say who are you not to?" 
For many years to come human history will be blighted by events such as the holocaust or the Rwandan genocide and even though people knew it was going on - no one knew what we should do about it, but now we do.

The LRA kidnaps and abducts children, both male and female, in the night to force them to fight for a cause for which they do not believe. They are forced to mutilate other people including even their families.  We have to stop this, it is our duty, that is what we are meant to do. The video below is admittedly long and some people even claim that the video lies or tries to mislead you however it is my view that these interpretations are based on the assumptions of uneducated people without actual factual knowledge.


So recently I contacted my school regarding this issue and whether there is anything we can do to help which is the point where some people call me stupid or naive because I want to do something to stop this and that there's no point because one fourteen year old can't make a difference but it is my job today to tell you that I can and you can.

But what people forget is that the usage of the Internet in Europe since 2001 has grown by over 376.4% with over 2,267,233,742 people world using the Internet on December 31st 2011 and you can't say that is nothing.

We are at a major point in human history: will we let our mistakes repeat themselves once again - I won't, but what about you?


So today I ask and beg of you to pass on this message to your friends, to your family, to your school, to your colleges, to all you see. Share this post, this video.

Stand with me today, stand with me tomorrow, stand for those whose society has made invisible.

Kris Turner 

PS: For those who think that the LRA are no longer a threat I have two crucial pieces of evidence that prove you to be wrong.
  1. The ICC still lists Joseph Kony as wanted. The International Criminal Court is the court that is responsible for bringing criminals of war to justice. (http://www.hrw.org/topic/international-justice/joseph-kony-lra)
  2. You can track the attacks using the LRA Crisis Tracker which uses the EWRN (Early Warning Radio Network) (http://www.lracrisistracker.com)http://www.lracrisistracker.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment