Sunday 11 November 2012

Salute

A Soldiers Poem

If I die in war zone
Box me up and send me home.
Put my medals on my chest,
Tell my mum I did my best.

Tell my dad not to bow,
He won't get tension from me now.
Tell my brother to study perfectly,
Keys of my bike will be his permanently.




Tell my sister not to be upset,

Her brother will not raise after sunset.

And tell my love not to cry,

Cause I'm a soldier and I was born to die.


Lest we forget




220px-Lest_we_forget.jpg

I found that poem on one of my friends Facebook, I'm not sure if they wrote it or whether they found it but I thought I should share it regardless.



Now I am completely against war, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the sacrifices made not just by the men and women but by their families and friends who get left behind also. Also the animals: we don't think of them but they die for us too.



For many, today was a day of mourning and in the eyes of an eight year old, who may not even know why we do this, is a day of remembrance. You can see the people holding back tears from their eyes as they place a poppy on a piece of stone. Only a few will ever know their true story and yet a country will become almost silent to say thank you.




I've always found it remarkable: whilst you are thinking for two minutes in silence, so is everyone around you and the majority of the country. Sharing the same thoughts.



Nobody is born to die. This day isn't about one war or even two - it isn't even about a war as far as I'm concerned. It's about sacrifice for someone else, to put yourself in the line of fire to save a person you don't even know.



So for that, I am eternally grateful.



Until the next time,


Kris



POPPIES_TRIPTYCH.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment